Provide commercial expertise in the delivery of the contracted work by taking the commercial lead on a project.
The provision of accurate and timely commercial reports and advice to the management team whilst ensuring the contract achieves the appropriate commercial targets.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure that all reporting is accurate and completed to agreed timescales
- Ensure the project and programme contract, cost, quality and time targets are met
- Ensure prompt and regular submission of main contract payment applications and ensure that subcontractor payments are dealt with fairly and in accordance with subcontract terms
- Supervise, mentor and encourage all subordinate staff in their personal professional development including PDP, welfare, safety competency and performance matters
- Build a close relationship with Project Manager to ensure the goals for the project are met
- Assist the operations team with customer relationships
- Maintain and coordinate all commercial reports required for the successful commercial management of the contract
- Ensure compliance with the business delaps and contract process maps
- Preparation of the forecasting and reporting of costs against value to ensure that it is in line with the contract profitability forecast
- Ensure all subcontract issues are resolved, deferring to the Commercial Manager where appropriate
- Coordination of track sheet accuracy and inputting through to invoicing. Ensure payment is made within both WIP and cash targets
- Ensure the accuracy of the commercial data generated within RedSky software
- Ensures compliance with all contractual requirements, provide support and training on both the contract and the schedule of rates to maximise value recovery
- Management of subcontract accounts including interrogation, procurement, payments, variations and final accounts
- Preparation of all subcontracts to meet the company standards
- Ensures all subcontractor commercial issues are resolved and payments are timely and correct
- Identifying, raising and pricing of variation in line with the change control process including identification, measurement claims and rogue rates
- Obtain maximum recovery through accurate measurement of the works completed
- Provide key information across the contract team
- Liaise with the Group Procurement Manager to ensure accuracy of costs, and best practise in material buying
- Liaise and assist with the performance analyst in the preparation of run rate data, including the preparation of weekly gang profit / loss, plant spend, KPI and prefect delivery requirements
- As part of the overall management team take responsibility regarding health, safety, quality and the environment providing commercial support
- Management, training and advise of direct reports
Qualifications & Skills
- BSc in Quantity Surveying (or other equivalent commercially related discipline)
- CSCS compliance
- Working towards professional membership of an appropriate organisation (for example, RICS/CIOB)
- Detailed knowledge of company management systems including;
- Commercial and financial (RedSky, Samson)
- Risk Management
- Personnel Management
- Quality Management
- Environmental Management
- Safety Management
- Commercial and contractual knowledge, in various forms of contract
- A working knowledge of current legislation
- Proven experience of managing quantity surveyors and assistants on larger contract
- Negotiation and settlement of disputes and accounts relating both to customers and suppliers
- People management experience, such as managing performance and development procedures
- Experience working with a variety of schedule of rates contracts
- Ability to work in a team environment contributing across a business unit
- Good management skills, with the ability to motivate self and colleagues to achieve high standards of compliance
- Good operational planning and time management skills; able to manage projects simultaneously without compromising on standards and quality
- Ability to ensure standards and specifications are met
- Ability to work with colleagues to deliver project and operational performance
- Sound knowledge of construction practices and standards
- Specialist knowledge in chosen field
Technical Knowledge & Skills: Understands technical aspects of work/role. Maintains professional competence. Use of methods, techniques, and systems related to the role.
Working Relationships/Team-Working: Respects, cooperates, and relates well with others, both internal and external teams, and individuals.
Customer Focused (If Applicable): Strives hard to meet customer needs and to ensure customer satisfaction. Develops and nurtures key internal and external networks.
Commercial Awareness (If Applicable): Understands and applies commercial principles. Views issues in terms of cost, profit, market, and added value. Vigilant to the impact of external factors.
Managing Others (If Applicable): Effectively develops, motivates, and supports the team to achieve company goals. Has management style appropriate to the business. Takes ownership of issues and gives credit to others for achievements.
Communication Skills: Conveys information in an open way. Is able to identify and secure quality information. Effective written and verbal communication.
Organised: Has a structured approach to work. Works out what needs to be done, establishes priorities, and optimises resources available.
Reliability: Excellent attendance and time-keeping levels. Dependable. Consistently carries out tasks to the required standard.
Specific Safety and Environmental Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Contracts Manager/Site Manager provide sub-contractors with sufficient health, safety and environmental information relating to the specific contract at Pre-order meetings and request statutory documentation.
- Take an active role in ensuring health, safety and the environment are effectively managed on site including monitoring activities as detailed in the Project Strategy Plan.
- Co-operate with other mac staff and subcontractors in health and safety matters.
- Set a personal example including the wearing or use of Protective Clothing or equipment on site as appropriate.
- In conjunction with the Project Director/Contracts Manager ensure adequate cost/ provisions are made available to enable health, safety and environmental issues to be effectively managed on site.
- Report all hazards and unsafe or environmentally damaging practices they observe to the Site Manager.