The mac Quantity Surveyor (QS) has the responsibility for the financial and contractual control of the project on which appointed. They work closely with the Commerical Manager/Project Manager and Project Director and are a key member of the Site Management team.
The QS must consider all potential problems and opportunities and be fully conversant with any matter which may have a financial effect. They plan, together with the other members of the site team, including EST, BUYER, and ACCS, for a commercially successful project in which the requirements of the client are met.
The QS is responsible to the PD for matters arising on a project and on a general basis to the Commercial Manager / Director.
The QS carries out their work in accordance with the relevant standard procedures and will discharge his duties listed in the mac safety policy.
The QS looks for opportunities for the company with their known contacts always presenting a consistent and united face to Clients, Consultants, Sub-contractors, and the Public.
Duties & Responsibilities
May assist in the preparation of Bills of Quantities, advise on contractual matters, propose S/C, advise and assist in the preparation of enquiries and the like as directed by the PD.
- Ensures that the EST provides the tender breakdown and package of Tender Assess the tenderbreakdown and prepare a contract forecast with the Estimator.
- Complete any outstanding negotiations with the PQS on the details of the contract sum with input from the Estimator.
- Be involved in the preparation and update of the Sub-Contract Buying schedule.
- Agree with the CM/PM, PD and Commercial Manager/Director the bond and warranty requirements for S/C.
- Notify the insurance brokers of any special insurance requirements.
- Arrange for a bond, parent company guarantee or Warranty if required.
- Arrange for the compilation and completion of contract documents.
- Review the form of contract and assess and advise the team of implications
- Attends and takes the minutes of the start-up meeting.
Construction and Post Construction
- Become familiar with all the financial and contractual aspects of the contract and advise other members of the mac team as necessary to maintain a high level of “cost consciousness and contractual awareness”.
- Establish cost control methods with the CM/PM. Monitor the costs of the project and maximise its profitability. Review the costs and prepare reports for cost meetings with the assistance of the PD and CM/PM.
- Liaise with the PQS, prepare and agree valuation, value variations and prepare the final account and keep him aware of any item that is likely to affect the final cost of the contract and regularly keep him informed of theexpected final account time.
- Ensure that the preparation of valuation and issue of interim certificates enable punctual payment.
- Monitor and update contract turnover and cashflow forecasts as required.
- Ensure that S/C orders are placed in accordance with the requirements of the Sub-Contract buying schedule.
- Take part in the selection of S/C. Appoint S/C and assist in the management of S/C including attending meetings, making payments, corresponding and agreeing final accounts.
- Monitor and assist in the requisition of materials, the placing of orders by the BUYER and the payment of invoices by ACCS.
- Identify variations and ensure proper instructions are received and given.
- Analyse capital purchase items in association with the CM/PM and report to the PD.
- Cross check material deliveries against site measurements.
- Protect mac’s contractual position with correspondence, information or notices as required, in conjunction with the CM/PM.
- Ensure that punctual, Practical Completion, Making Good Defects, and Final Certificates are obtained at the appropriate time.
- Prepare applications for extensions of time with input from the CM/PM.
- Prepare applications for recovery of loss and expense.
- Ensure proper records are kept on information regarding existing site conditions eg. grid of levels.
- Provide feedback to the EST with regard to the costs incurred on the contract related to the tender and breakdown of preliminaries expenditure.
- Liaise with the SM and ENG on a regular basis and be aware of any work on site which has cost implications.
- Be involved in the management of the contract as required.
- Prepare and maintain files and on completion of the contract arrange archiving for selected documents.
NOTE: The above points relate to the QS function on a project whether Senior QS or QS. Where there is more than one QS on a project then the functions will be apportioned as appropriate.
Specific & Environmental Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the CM/PM and SM, provide sub-contractors with sufficient health, safety, and environmental information relating to the specific contract at Pre-order meetings, and request statutory documentation.
- Take an active role in ensuring health, safety, and the environment are effectively managed on-site including monitoring activities as detailed in the Project Strategy Plan.
- Co-operate with other mac staff and subcontractors in health and safety matters.
- Set a personal example including the wearing or use of Protective Clothing or equipment on-site as appropriate.
- In conjunction with the Project Director and CM/PM, ensure adequate cost/ provisions are made available to enable health, safety, and environmental issues to be effectively managed on site.
- Report all hazards and unsafe or environmentally damaging practices they observe to the Site Manager.