Reporting to the Group EHS Manager, the UK EHS Manager will be responsible for implementing the mac-group health and safety management system and managing health and safety across the mac-group projects in the UK working closely with all stakeholders to ensure that the company’s goals and objectives are achieved. This senior member of the team will provide health and safety leadership at regional level and will work closely with all levels of internal management and where appropriate with relevant regulatory bodies and clients/client teams to deliver the highest standards of health and safety. The individual must have sound professional credentials, a track record in health and safety management and be able to provide support in developing people and systems to align the health and safety function with the wider mac-group business plan.
The EHS Manager shall:
- Promote a positive group wide health and safety culture within the UK region.
- Assist in the development of mac-group health and safety management systems and ensure compliance with external accreditation (ISO 45001).
- Regularly report health and safety performance to the Group EHS Manager and to the UK Director/Divisional Directors using relevant and useful analytics to demonstrate actual performance compared to target performance and recognised industry standards in the UK and Ireland.
- Ensure compliance with legislation which applies to mac-group operational jurisdictions.
- Relentlessly pursue zero harm outcomes across all operations working collaboratively with management to continuously improve health and safety performance.
- Regularly visit live projects to validate performance and assist project teams maintain the highest levels of health and safety management across all phases of project delivery.
- Ensure project teams follow the requirements of the mac-group Safety Management System for delivering construction projects safely and observe the requirements of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 and all other applicable legislation and Codes of Practice.
- Have a sound knowledge of construction methods generally and be conversant with temporary works and their design.
- As requested by the Group EHS Manager attend regular meetings with other members of the health and safety team and others within mac-group to ensure knowledge and experience is effectively shared and communicated.
- Liaise with the UK Director, the MD Interiors, the MD Construction and other Senior Managers as necessary to ensure optimum outcomes across the health and safety management discipline.
- Support work winning teams, assist in tender submissions and attend client interviews when necessary.
- Possess experience in accident and incident investigation including liaison with all statutory agencies as may be required in conjunction with the Group EHS Manager. Prepare reports as requested.
- Possess experience of OH programs in construction or construction related organisations.
- Work closely with the Group EHS Manager and HR Department to ensure there is an effective health and safety training programs in place which is reviewed regularly.
- Assist in knowledge sharing to maximise learning and innovation and knowledge sharing.
- Attend and represent mac-group at external health and safety events and promote the mac-group brand
- Carry out internal Health & Safety related training for staff as required.
- Efficiently organise and prioritise workload.
This role description is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for the EHS Manager. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder at regular intervals.
- 7 years plus health and safety management experience at a senior level in the construction sector with a minimum of 4 years’ experience in a main contractor organisation.
- Appropriate third level education attainment.
- NEBOSH National Diploma or Certificate holder (or equivalent)
- Chartered member of IOSH (or working towards same).
- Sound knowledge of the construction/interiors industry with inevitably a background in health and safety management.
- Previous experience in a senior health and safety management role.
- Good communication and team working skills.
- Knowledge of and operation of health and safety management systems in construction/interiors related organisation.
- Experience in dealing with health and/or safety incidents and subsequent investigations both internal and external including formal report writing.
- Experience in relevant litigation.
- Ability to operate within the UK, Ireland and mainland Europe as maybe dictated by the business needs.
- Experience of Behavioural Based Safety leading to a change in safety culture within an organisation.
- Experience in a similar role in a highly regulated industry (e.g. oil & gas).
- Experience in leading and mentoring people within the context of a positive health and safety culture shift.
Qualifications & Training
- Chartered Member of IOSH or equivalent.
- NEBOSH National Diploma or Construction Certificate or equivalent.
- Degree or other relevant third level education in construction management or related subject (not essential)
- Leadership Skills: Communicates and gains team commitment to a vision, able to motivate colleagues and others and provide direction and vision.
- Effective Communication Skills: Able to adapt communication to audience and create detailed written documents and reports. Able to maintain and manage communication links with a variety of stakeholders. Presents a professional image and promotes the mac-group brand.
- External Focus: Takes time to question and understand the real, underlying needs of the customer, the public and the supply chain particularly in a health and safety management context.
- Influencing: Identifies and builds relationships with those who are influencers and enablers for change in achieving the strategic objectives of mac-group.
- Initiative: is able to get results in an effective way either individually or collectively as a team. Understands and seeks to minimise waste in resources and processes. Adopts and encourages others to adopt new ways of working.
- Team Player: Always willing to be involved in other activities to achieve company objectives. Works collaboratively and uses influence to gain resolution of issues. Demonstrates honesty, loyalty and commitment.
mac-group is an employer of choice for people from different backgrounds and seeks to promote respect for the individual and equality of opportunity. We passionately believe that everyone should be treated solely on the basis of personal merit and contribution throughout their career with mac-group. The diversity of our people, their skills and abilities are the strengths that help us achieve our best.