St Modwen Developments, Hilton Garage, Derbyshire.
Hilton Garage is a purpose built car supermarket, valeting depot and showroom. A 12,000 sq. ft industrial unit & associated offices situated on a four-acre site at the Hilton Business Park, in Derbyshire. Our team successfully delivered this project in 2018, overcoming a range of project constraints. The construction is steel frame with sheeted roofing and cladding to provide industrial and office space. Key considerations for the client St. Modwen Developments was a high quality showroom environment, offices and external hard landscaped areas to provide parking for client’s vehicles.
Furthermore, the project was handed over on time, budget, accident and injury free!
- Shell and core construction of new garage, showroom and offices with car wash facilities.
- Steel Frame structure, with sheet cladding and roofing envelope and internal offices in blockwork and plasterboard partitions.
- Internal services comprised incoming water and mains.
- Externally there was significant hard landscaping to provide parking for 575 vehicles and drainage attenuation to deal with increased water run off from hard landscaped areas.
- Car valeting depot and paint room.
- 575 car park spaces with associated external works form part of the works.
- Mehanial: New services installed.
- Electrical: New services installed.
- Existing live industrial estate, with residential estate nearby – works should not impact on neighbours.
- Live foul drain ran underneath the site and there was a design challenge in maintaining sufficient cover to protect the service. We identified early that there was an issue with maintaining cover over the existing foul drainage on site and amended levels sympathetically to ensure cover was maintained but managing cost through avoiding more imported fill being used.
- An ecology report commissioned by the Client identified badger runs locally.
- Managing drainage and run-off effectively from increased hard landscaping.
- Further to meet particular client requirements, we amended the service ducts across the site to provide additional water and power points and developed design to enable fit out of the amenity block which didn’t form part of the initial base build contract.
- Throughout the process design was developed collaboratively and we provided added value through incremental design improvements in drainage and cladding interface detailing.
- Build Quality Control was managed under our ISO:9001 Quality System, with the whole team including Project Manager, Site Manager and Operations Director, monitoring work, carrying out regular inspections and driving quality.
- Key systems engaged as part of this process were a Project Quality Plan linked to other key project documents including the Programme and Inspection and Test Plan process.
- This was the first mac-group construction project managed from our Solihull office and proved a test of our business-wide quality systems that was passed with flying colours!
- The project was subject to external quality inspections, the most important being the Severn Trent Water sign off of the drainage, workmanship and compliance sign off of roofing and cladding works by the novated specialist consultant and air tests to prove building regulations compliance.
This project was completed by our UK Construction team in Birmingham #TEAMmac
St Modwen Developments